2016 Family Reunion Fundraiser
Save the date!
October 21, 2016
Montgomery Park Atrium
Click here for more information!
2016 Family Reunion Fundraiser
Friday, October 21, 2016
5:30 - 9 PM | Montgomery Park Atrium
Join us for PHFS’ biggest fundraising event of the year! Last year the 2015 Family Reunion Fundraiser made a recording-breaking $102,000 to provide support to families experiencing homelessness in Portland - all thanks to our amazing supporters!
The 2016 Family Reunion Fundraiser will be a night to honor why we do what we do: it will be a night to raise support for homeless families with children. This year’s event will include dinner, drinks, live auction, paddle raise, and a variety of Family Reunion games and entertainment.
*While this is a time to celebrate the family and to support those families that we see at PHFS, we ask that this event remain an adult-only event. Thank you for your understanding.
Solution Salon 2016
Join us for lunch and a discussion about the homeless state of emergency in Portland. Special guests will include Community Alliance of Tenants Executive Director, Justin Buri, and Street Roots Executive Director, Israel Bayer.
- Tuesday, March 15
- Wednesday, April 13
- Monday, May 23
The PHFS main office is no longer located at our Goose Hollow Family Shelter location (1838 SW Jefferson St).
Please note our new office address: 1221 SW Yamhill St. Suite 210 Portland, OR 97205. Please direct all mail, including monetary donations, to this location. Click here for an update on our in-kind donation drop off.
We structure our services for our guests using only evidence-based practices. Trauma-informed care is one such model. This article in the journal “Open Health Services and Policy” provides an excellent introduction to trauma-informed care.
Another example of an evidence-based practice we employ is the Full Frame Initiative. Please explore this presentation to learn more about why this approach is so successful in supporting marginalized communities.
Check back here for more information soon.
We’re so glad to hear you are interested in volunteering with PHFS! We are always seeking new additional volunteers to join our team and there are a variety of ways you can plug in on a daily basis! For your volunteer commitment, we ask our volunteers to fulfill at least 1 shift in a 6 month period (average shift is 2 to 3 hours). If you want to volunteer more frequently, you’re welcome to and encouraged! We ask for our volunteers who are 14 years old or older to complete the on-boarding process, which includes an orientation and application (If you are under the age of 14 and would like to volunteer, you may do so with a parent or guardian, who would fulfill the orientation and application for you). For our Overnight Host volunteers we have an additional step of completing a background check (Overnight Host volunteers must also be 18 years old or older).
Shelter Orientation Options
Thirteen Salmon Family Center Orientations: (Our day shelter)
Next Orientation: June 6th 6:15-7:15pm
By attending this orientation, you will be eligible to volunteer at the Thirteen Salmon Family Center. At this site, we offer day time shifts from 8-11am, 11am-1pm, and 3-6pm for one volunteer per shift.
Goose Hollow Family Shelter Orientations: (Our night shelter)
Next Orientation: June 13th 5:00-6:00pm
By attending this orientation, you will be eligible to volunteer at the Goose Hollow Family Shelter. At this site, we offer shifts from 6:30-9:30pm, 6:30-8pm, and 7:30pm-7:30am. If you would like to volunteer with a friend or small group, we would be able to accommodate that at this location. Lastly, please note that this site is not ADA accessible.
We ask that all volunteers adhere to the following guidelines. This list can also be found in our Volunteer Handbook.
1. The most important thing we do at PHFS is build relationships with the families that we serve. Be friendly, warm, an connect with the guests. Set your boundaries when getting to know families in shelter. Don’t do anything that you don’t feel comfortable doing. If you have questions about how to remain professional while building relationships, please talk to PHFS staff.
2. We have a 2-adult rule. At all times, children need to be in the presence of two adults. This should almost always include a parent + a staff member or volunteer. Sometimes, volunteers/staff may be alone with children without their parents; this is OK as long as there are two people present. (Parents can be alone with their children.)
3. Guests must supervise their own children. Volunteers should not supervise or discipline children in shelter. Volunteers should not supervise or discipline children in shelter. Additionally, all guests should clean up after themselves and their children.
4. Keep in mind that our families are experiencing a lot of trauma and stress; and that communal dwelling is challenging. Act out of compassion in all situations, with no judgment. Trust the guests to make their own decisions.
5. Lead by example. Please use appropriate language, wear appropriate clothing, and do your best to remain calm and in control at all times, acting out of mutual respect for others.
6. Be flexible! Each day is unique and day-to-day needs vary. Remaining open and adaptable to different tasks is greatly appreciated!
7. Ask questions! PHFS staff are experts in shelter rules and routine. Please go to them if you are ever unsure of anything. We also appreciate hearing your feedback and questions to better grow our program.
8. Respect for Family Confidentiality. Information and stories of our families cannot be shared outside of PHFS. We want you to share about your volunteer experience, but please be mindful to not use any identifying information about any guests.
9. Volunteers must always get permission to take pictures or videos of guests. Please do not take any photos without asking the guest and Shelter Coordinator first.
10. Please do not allow anyone into either shelter without permission from PHFS staff first.
Become a Volunteer!
Step #2: Complete our application. After you attend orientation, the Volunteer Manager will send this link to you. Once it is submitted, you will receive a notification about your open volunteer account and you can begin signing up for shifts!
Have a question about getting involved with PHFS? Check out our FAQ here!